With the end of May upon us, the West Monroe-West Ouachita Chamber of Commerce wanted to take time to reflect on National Small Business Month, which was celebrated throughout the month of May.
Across the nation and in Louisiana, small businesses have a huge impact on the economy. The La. Association for Business and Industry reports there are more than 424,000 businesses in Louisiana, employing more than 892,000 people. Small businesses make up more than 97 percent of Louisiana's employers, providing more than half of the state's private workforce.
The WMWO Chamber of Commerce partnered with the La. Small Business Development Center at ULM to spotlight small businesses in our area and thank local business owners for their commitment to their business and the community. Small businesses create jobs for our residents, and sales tax generated by these businesses help fund schools, parks, roadways and other vital services.
Each May, the Chamber honors small businesses in various categories as part of its Small Business Awards Program, sponsored by Glenwood Regional Medical Center.
This year's winners award winners included:
- Community Champion Award - Tiffany Olmstead, publisher of Macaroni Kid Monroe-West Monroe.
- Emerging Entrepreneur - SaniCan Bin Cleaning & Exterior Services
- Female Champion Award - Deanna Head, Unitech Training Academy
- Micro Business Award - Finding Solace Counseling, LLC
- Small Business Award - TBA Studio
- Silver Plus Award - Kilpatrick Funeral Homes
- Honorable Mention in the Micro Business Awards category was presented to Green Gator Pumping & Sewer, LLC
|Emerging Entrepreneur Winner SaniCan Bin Cleaning & Exterior Services|
Congratulations to all of these well-deserving businesses and leaders!
Remember to support small, locally-owned businesses throughout the year. For a complete listing of WMWO Chamber members, visit our online membership directory at www.westmonroechamber.org.